This real-time strategy game was built for university (CITM - Polytechnic University of Catalonia) by an 8 people team.
Buildings: Spawns & Upgrades System
I coded the spawn system that is responsible of spawning new units when the player or AI train new soldiers or gatherer.
To train units, you have to select a building and choose the unit that you want. Each type of building have different units.
- Base: Gatherers
- Barracks: Melees & Rangeds
- Laboratory: Mr Handy (Special Unit)
All the upgrades can be boosted a maximum of 4 times. As you keep upgrading your buildings, they will become more and more expensive to get.
- Base: Gatherers collecting capacity (+15%) & Base resources capacity (+30%)
- Barracks: Increase damage (+15%) and walking speed (+15%) to all units
- Laboratory: Increase health (+15%) to all units & decrease creation time (-5%)
Fog of War
Strategy games are characterized by having a fog that covers the entire map. That way, you can only see the surroundings of your own units and your allies.
And you won't see your enemy until they go into your territory, or you into theirs.
I was in charge of the fog of war implementation into our project.
Fog of War
No Fog of War
As you can see, there are 3 different type of areas:
- Black Areas: These are the areas that you have never visited before
- Visible Areas: You have a unit or building there, so you can see everything
- Shrouded Areas: You visited that area in the past, so you can see the map but can't see the enemies
As the QA Manager, I had the responsibility of ensuring the quality of the project.
For that reason, me and my team detected and fixed more than 100 bugs, as well as performing tests and code improvements to increase efficiency.
List of issues
Example of 1 report
Every software project has bugs, it's impossible not to have them. That's why it's important to detect and fix them as soon as possible so that the end user can enjoy the best experience possible!
This is the team that built the project together!